THE MBTS PARENTS’ GUILD
We would like to take this opportunity to introduce new parents to the Parents’ Guild and to update everyone on what we are up to this year!
WHO WE ARE: Whether you know it or not, YOU are the Parents’ Guild. All parents are automatically members of the Guild and are welcome (and encouraged!) to attend meetings, volunteer, and participate in Guild sponsored events and fundraisers. We view the Guild as a true partnership with the teachers and school administration. Our goal is to enrich our children’s experience both at MBTS and within the community. If the name confuses you – think “PTA”.
WHAT WE DO: Our primary purpose is to bring parents and families together and build a strong sense of community and charity through social events and fundraising efforts, all in the spirit of the Montessori Philosophy. In the past, funds raised by the Guild have purchased tablets for classrooms, a shade covering for the yard, teacher appreciation gifts and have paid for special field trips for each class.
Events organized by the Guild have included the annual Welcome Picnic and end of the year beach BBQ, a Pancake Breakfast, a Locked Inn parent social, movies at Camana Bay for MBTS families, and our annual Golf Tournament – just to name a few. You also will find us hosting our monthly pop-up café (Café by the Sea) during morning drop-off and at school concerts. Make sure to stop by for a latte, pastry, or just to meet and catch up with other parents.
THIS YEAR: Due to the recent devastation caused throughout the Caribbean by Hurricanes Irma and Maria, we have discussed the idea of “adopting a school” on one of these islands that will need help rebuilding. The aim is to select a Montessori school (one that includes Upper Levels) and have all charitable donations raised by the Guild this year go directly to that school. We are also hoping to tie in some student-led fundraising initiatives. We see this as a wonderful opportunity to foster the virtues of compassion and service within our own school community.
MARK YOUR CALENDARS:
- Welcome Pizza Party – Saturday, October 14th (all MBTS families welcome.)
- Café by the Sea – Thursday, October 19th
- Next Guild Meeting – week of October 16th (to be confirmed)
- Annual Golf Tournament – Friday, February 9th
- Stay tuned for other upcoming events still in the works!
- Attend a meeting: The Committee meets monthly to discuss and plan social events, fundraisers, sales, and more.
- Join our Facebook group, “Montessori by the Sea Parents’ Guild,” to stay connected and up-to-date.
- Volunteer: We are always looking for extra hands to help in both big and small ways.
- Become a classroom rep: Classroom representatives play a much-needed role in keeping us all connected – whether it be by constructively addressing questions or concerns amongst the parent-body, or informing other parents about upcoming activities or ways to get involved in special events.
Thanks for taking the time to read about the Guild and feel free to reach out to the committee at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions/suggestions.